Columbia Gas of Virginia files to recover investments in system safety, reliability and growth

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Columbia Gas of Virginia today filed a base rate case with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) seeking to recover costs associated with ongoing infrastructure investment programs and to incorporate changes from federal tax reform legislation which benefit the company’s customers.

Columbia’s filing details its request for $22.2 million per year in additional revenues, primarily associated with Columbia’s infrastructure investment programs. These investments benefit customers by enhancing natural gas system safety and reliability and contributing to reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. The company’s capital investments also bring natural gas to unserved areas and provide infrastructure to support economic growth.

The revenue increase incorporates savings associated with the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. Columbia proposes to include in rates the benefits associated with the reduction in the corporate federal tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent which became effective on January 1, 2018.

“Columbia Gas is committed to enhancing the energy value we deliver to customers,” Columbia Gas of Virginia President and Chief Operating Officer Brent Archer said. “This proposal reflects investment in customer-focused programs to improve service, ensure reliability during extreme weather, and reduce methane emissions from our system. We are also committed to expanding natural gas service to new homes, businesses and industries across the Commonwealth – helping fuel job creation and continued economic growth.”

If approved by the SCC, the request would increase the average total monthly natural gas bill for a typical residential customer by $5.61 per month or approximately 7.5 percent when compared to current rates. Columbia Gas has requested that the new rates become effective February 1, 2019.

Columbia’s proposal would affect its base natural gas rates, which include costs associated with natural gas delivery, distribution and customer service. Base rates represent about 60 percent of a typical customer’s total bill. The remaining 40 percent of the bill consists of natural gas costs, which are directly passed through to customers on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

Customers with questions regarding the proposal may call 1-800-543-8911 or visit columbiagasva.com for more information. Customers can also follow the company on Facebook (ColumbiaGasVa) and Twitter (@ColumbiaGasVa).

Media Contact
Karl Brack
VP External & Customer Affairs
Columbia Gas of Virginia
1809 Coyote Drive, Chester VA 23836
804-768-6410 | kbrack@nisource.com

About Columbia Gas of Virginia

Forward-Looking Statements