Our voluntary CHOICE® program offers you the option to purchase the natural gas you use from a supplier other than Columbia Gas. If you choose to purchase your gas from a different supplier, we will continue to deliver the same reliable service, read your meter, perform safety checks and respond to emergencies.
The prices charged by suppliers are set by a competitive market, meaning there is no guarantee that you’ll save money, but they may offer special pricing and incentives. If you’d like to enroll, shop around and make your CHOICE®.
How to enroll
- Review our list of current suppliers below.
- Evaluate the offer and compare prices. The Virginia State Corporation Commission lists full current approved suppliers. Suppliers offer different risks and rewards, such as fixed and variable rates, flat discounts and up-front incentives. Our CHOICE calculator can help you evaluate your long-term bill amounts.
- Consider the contract terms. Since many suppliers require you to agree to contract terms, you’ll want to know contract length and if you can cancel.
- Make your CHOICE® by contacting the supplier. If you choose not to participate, your supplier will not change and there is no change in your bill.
Find your current charges
The Detail Charges section of your bill shows your Delivery and Supply Charges. The example on the right shows the Detail Charges section of a bill for a customer who participates in CHOICE®. The Supply is provided by Supplier Energy, and the Delivery is provided by Columbia Gas of Virginia. Use our calculator below to compare offers from suppliers and make an educated decision.
Current price to compare
The price to compare is our charge for gas supply service. The price to compare is provided to you so you can effectively compare our regulated rate to offers from competitive service providers.
Columbia Gas of Virginia's Current Price to Compare (as of January 2, 2019) is:
- $0.3905 per therm (for all rate blocks) for CHOICE® residential customers. All gas consumed.
- $0.3146 per therm (for all rate blocks) for CHOICE® small commercial and industrial (SGTS) transportation service customers. For all gas consumed.
Large commercial and industrial customers need to access our current tariff starting on sheet number 3 to acquire their current rate.
Residential Transportation Service (RTS) Rates (CHOICE® Program)
Residential Transportation Service (RTS) for customers that were not on Residential Sales Service (RS) in the last 12 months:
Price to Compare (as of January 2, 2019) = $0.3687 per therm for all natural gas consumed.
Residential Transportation Service (RTS) for customers that were on Residential Sales Service (RS) in the last 12 months:
Price to Compare (as of January 2, 2019) = $0.2927 per therm for all natural gas consumed.
Residential Service (RS) Rates
RS is for customers that were not on Residential Transportation Service (RTS) in the last 12 months:
Residential Sales Service (RS) for customers that were on Residential Transportation Service (RTS) in the last 12 months:
Calculate your potential savings
This calculator helps you compare your current bill and a potential bill from CHOICE® suppliers. Our calculation is based on our current gas rates.
CHOICE® is a registered service mark of Columbia Gas of Virginia, Inc.
Current suppliers serving residential, commercial and industrial customers
NOVEC Energy Solutions
STAND Energy Corp.
XOOM Energy Virginia, LLC