Protecting underground utilities is a shared responsibility. By working together, we can eliminate damages to natural gas facilities. Virginia law requires ANYONE planning an excavation project to call 811 at least three working days (excluding weekends and legal holidays) before beginning any excavation or demolition project. Visit the Virginia 811 website to learn more.
Dig With CARE
C - Call 811 before you dig
A - Allow required time for marking
R - Respect and protect the marks
E - Excavate carefully
Safety Tips Near Natural Gas Pipelines
- Look for above-ground pipeline markers indicating the location of buried natural gas lines
- Yellow flags and paint indicate newly installed or located natural gas lines
- An outside customer meter is an indication that a natural gas line is located nearby
- When digging, yellow warning tape indicates close location of underground facilities
- A yellow sphere the size of a softball will also indicate you are close to the pipeline
We Provide Free Training
Keep your employees safe on the job site. Contact us for customized, onsite training.
Columbia Gas of Virginia
1809 Coyote Drive
Chester, Virginia 23836
Together, we make Virginia a safe place to excavate.