Benefits & Uses of Gas
Why Choose Natural Gas?
Natural gas continues to be one of the lowest cost and most efficient energy sources available. Based on recent pricing, you could save up to 40% compared to other energy sources when you convert to natural gas heat! Plus, Columbia Gas of Virginia customers can save even more money with rebates through our energy-efficiency and conservation programs.
It's Cost Effective
You can save energy and money when you convert to using natural gas to heat your residence. Use the Fuel Cost Calculator to estimate your annual heating or annual water heating costs with natural gas in comparison to other energy sources.
Warm Heat is Gas Heat
Unlike other energy sources, natural gas provides instant heat as soon as it’s turned on. Natural gas can keep your entire residence comfortable by providing instant warm heat to your furnace, fireplace, stove, and water heater.
Natural gas is piped directly into your residence. It’s always there when you need it and you never have to worry about running out of fuel or arranging for deliveries.
When you use natural gas, 90 percent of what is delivered to your residence is considered useful energy, as opposed to electricity, which, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, loses more than two-thirds of its usable energy in its generation and transmission from the producer to your residence.
Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel, helping to reduce our carbon footprint.
Uses of Natural Gas
There is an abundance of natural gas products and appliances available to provide comfort in your residence.
- Natural gas high-efficiency furnaces cost less than heating with oil and electricity.
- Natural gas water heaters are faster at heating water than electric water heaters.
- Natural gas fireplaces never burn out and create less pollution than traditional fires.
- Natural gas cooking ranges and grills have a constant fuel supply so they warm up fast and provide precise cooking.
- Natural gas dryers provide fast drying at lower temperatures.
- Natural gas outdoor lights operate even during electrical power outages to keep your residence lit.
- Natural gas patio heaters provide the comfort of a campfire without the mess.
- Natural gas generators provide your residence with electricity when your utility power is interrupted due to snow, ice, or high winds.