Contact: Bob Innes
(804) 512-1425 - cellular
Chester, VA – November 17, 2016 - Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas that can be a by-product of the combustion of ordinary fuels. Carbon monoxide can become very poisonous if it is not vented properly and if allowed to accumulate without sufficient oxygen. The surest way to know if there is carbon monoxide in your home is with a carbon monoxide detector.
“When appliances malfunction or do not vent properly, carbon monoxide can accumulate,” said Columbia Gas of Virginia Vice President and General Manager Phil Wilson. “Now is the time to perform the regular maintenance of all natural gas heating appliances which can improve the efficiency and extend the life of the equipment – but more importantly, it could save a life.”
Carbon Monoxide Prevention Tips:
• Purchase carbon monoxide detectors or make sure that yours are operating properly.
• Make certain all fuel-burning equipment (coal, wood, natural gas, propane, pellet stoves, kerosene, and fuel oil) is properly installed, inspected, and operating.
• Hire a professional to install all fuel burning appliances, including ovens, stoves, and clothes dryers.
• Do not cut off or restrict air sources to appliances.
• Provide adequate indoor ventilation when using fireplaces or unvented space heaters.
• Never burn charcoal indoors or in an enclosed space.
• Clean chimneys and check for blockages.
• Never use a kitchen range or oven to heat a room. In addition to producing dangerous carbon monoxide gas, it also can damage the range.
• Open garage doors before starting vehicles.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms:
Carbon monoxide may cause any or all of the following symptoms:
• Human symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, ringing in the ears, seeing spots, feeling ill or tired at home, but feeling fine away from home, as well as loss of consciousness and respiratory failure.
• Household symptoms include foul-smelling or stale air, the smell of exhaust fumes, a yellow or orange flame on natural gas ranges and stoves, as well as soot around the outside of a chimney, furnace or water heater flue vent, or large areas of condensation of water vapor on walls or windows.
What to Do:
• If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning or a natural gas leak, leave the home immediately, and from a safe location call 911 and then call Columbia Gas of Virginia at 1-800-544-5606.
About Columbia Gas of Virginia
Columbia Gas of Virginia delivers safe, reliable and clean natural gas to over 260,000 customers in portions of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, suburban Richmond, Central Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley, the Lynchburg region and parts of Western Virginia. With headquarters in Chesterfield County, the company is one of the 7 energy distribution companies of NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) serving 4.0 million natural gas and electric customers. Always call 811 before you dig and Dig with CARE. Learn more at www.ColumbiaGasVa.com.