May 30, 2014
Contact: Bob Innes
(804) 512-1425 - cellular
CHESTER, VA. – May 30, 2014 – Columbia Gas of Virginia customers will see their monthly bills adjusted beginning today reflecting an increase in the cost of natural gas Columbia Gas purchases on behalf of its customers. The typical total monthly residential customer bill will be a seasonal monthly amount of $41.52 compared to the current monthly bill of $39.21. This cost comparison is based on a 23 Ccf seasonal monthly summer usage level. A Ccf is the measurement used for natural gas usage and is the equivalent of 100 cubic feet.
The same natural gas cost adjustment period in 2013 resulted in a monthly customer bill of $41.76. The current quarterly adjustment is in alignment with the overall stability of natural gas markets, a result of the ongoing positive outlook for long-term domestic supply.
It is important to note that Columbia's gas costs are typically adjusted on a quarterly basis to reflect the price the company pays for natural gas, which, by law, is passed on dollar for dollar to customers without markup or profit.
To help customers with payment options, reduce their energy consumption and stay safe, Columbia Gas has several free programs including:
• Budget Payment Plan - a free service that evenly spreads the annual customer energy costs over 12-months.
• WarmWise - offers free conservation and efficiency products which can save on both natural gas and water consumption. In addition, a customer can receive cash rebates to reduce the cost of insulation, high-efficiency equipment, windows and other energy-efficiency products.
• Direct e-bill - a convenient paperless billing service which saves energy and the natural resources required to produce paper bills.
• Online Account Management – a flexible way to manage your account, view your bill, edit your profile and pay your bill through www.ColumbiaGasVa.com with no fees.
• 811 – By calling 811 before you dig, at no charge, Columbia Gas will mark the location of the underground natural gas lines on your property to keep you safe when you dig.
• Emergency Response - If you encounter a strong odor similar to “rotten eggs”, Columbia Gas expects customers to immediately leave the area and from a safe location call 911 and Columbia Gas at 800.544.5606. Technicians will respond and investigate the odor for free and make the situation safe.
To learn more go to ColumbiaGasVa.com.
About Columbia Gas of Virginia
Columbia Gas of Virginia delivers safe, reliable and clean natural gas to over 251,000 customers in portions of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, suburban Richmond, Central Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley, the Lynchburg region and parts of Western Virginia. With headquarters in Chesterfield County, the company is one of the 7 energy distribution companies of NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) serving 3.8 million natural gas and electric customers. Always call 811 before you dig and Dig with CARE. Learn more at www.ColumbiaGasVa.com.