Columbia Gas of Virginia Helps Further NiSource’s Sustainability Efforts
Contact: Bob Innes
(804) 512-1425 - cellular
Chester VA – May 14, 2014 – Columbia Gas of Virginia is a key contributor to a corporate-wide sustainability strategy that spans more than 16 states and involves more than 8,000 employees, according to the 2013 NiSource Corporate Sustainability Report issued this week.
Columbia Gas of Virginia, a unit of NiSource, has contributed to progress and improvements across five key corporate sustainability dimensions: the environment, communities, customers, employees and shareholders. The report is available online at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
“We are proud to report on our accomplishments in building a more sustainable company here at Columbia Gas of Virginia,” Carl Levander, president said. “Through safe and responsible operating and business practices, community and environmental investments, charitable involvement and economic development, we are committed to being a positive, long-term contributor to the Virginia communities we have served since 1847.”
Performance highlights from the 2013 Sustainability Report include:
• Doing the right thing: NiSource was named to Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical companies list for the third consecutive year (2012, 2013 and 2014).
• Safe, reliable, modern energy infrastructure: In 2013 Columbia Gas of Virginia invested more than $75 million in capital improvements. These investments help uphold and improve reliability, safety and flexibility for customers, while creating significant economic benefits and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The company is currently in the third year of a five-year, $125 million infrastructure modernization program, which has already resulted in eliminating the release of nearly 1,900 metric tons of CO2e, or the equivalent of removing 9,000 vehicles from Virginia roads.
• Energy conservation and savings Virginia residential customers saved more than $1.5 million on their natural gas bills through Columbia Gas of Virginia’s WarmWise energy efficiency programs in 2013.
• Community investment: Columbia Gas of Virginia and its employees donated more than $330,000 and hundreds of hours to non-profit organizations across its service territory.
• Environmental improvements: Columbia Gas of Virginia has and their interstate pipeline affiliate are providing critical support to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy enabling them to relocate the Appalachian Trail to protected public property in Giles County. In Portsmouth, the company is completing the removal of coal tar remnants from the Elizabeth River as part of a voluntary remediation program addressing environmentally-sensitive materials from a former Manufactured Gas Plant site.
• Safe, engaged teams: Columbia Gas of Virginia recorded a record low rate of natural gas facility damages in 2013, placing the company in the top 10 percent of natural gas utilities nationwide and reflecting the company’s commitment to public safety. In addition, the focus of 2013 was to achieve improved personal safety performance in many key categories with a number of initiatives aimed at ingraining a “Safety by Choice” mentality across the company. Employees in its Staunton location are leading the way by completing 6 years without a recordable injury.
About Columbia Gas of Virginia
Columbia Gas of Virginia delivers safe, reliable and clean natural gas to over 251,000 customers in portions of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, suburban Richmond, Central Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley, the Lynchburg region and parts of Western Virginia. With headquarters in Chesterfield County, the company is one of the 7 energy distribution companies of NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) serving 3.8 million natural gas and electric customers. Always call 811 before you dig and Dig with CARE. Learn more at www.ColumbiaGasVa.com.