Columbia Gas of Virginia Offers Ways to Manage Winter Heating Bills
Contact: Bob Innes
(804) 512-1425 - cellular
CHESTER, VA – Feb. 7, 2014 – Columbia Gas of Virginia is offering ways to help consumer’s manage winter heating bills. The current winter heating season to date, Nov.1, 2013 through Feb. 4, 2014, is 7% colder than normal and nearly 14% colder than last winter. As a result, consumers can expect to see increased natural gas usage as a result of their heating equipment working more frequently than in recent past winter seasons. As a result of the increased usage, the consumer can expect larger monthly bills even with natural gas prices lower than last winter.
Columbia Gas recommends the following ways to manage winter heating bills:
• WarmWise, Columbia’s energy efficiency and conservation program provides cash rebates and free energy saving materials for qualifying customers. Rebates are available for installing qualifying insulation, windows and furnace upgrades. To learn more log on to www.warmwiseva.com.
• Enroll in the Budget Payment Plan which can spread your winter heating costs more evenly over a longer time and can help reduce the impact of winter heating bills. Learn more at www.columbiagasva.com or call us at 1.800.543.8911.
• HeatShare is Columbia Gas of Virginia’s fund of last resort for households that have exhausted assistance from other programs and still have trouble paying their heating bills. Administered by Dollar Energy Fund, the HeatShare fund is supported through tax-deductible contributions from customers. Columbia Gas of Virginia matches those donations. More HeatShare information can be found by calling Columbia Gas of Virginia’s DirectLink at 1-800-543-8911 or online at www.columbiagasva.com
• Make sure all appliances and heating equipment, such as a furnace, water heater or stove, are inspected and operating properly.
• Change or clean the furnace filters to maximize heating equipment efficiency.
• Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors to ensure they are operating according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
To learn more about ways to save on natural gas usage, visit www.columbiagasva.com.
About Columbia Gas of Virginia
Columbia Gas of Virginia delivers safe, reliable and clean natural gas to customers in portions of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, suburban Richmond, Central Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley, the Lynchburg region and parts of Western Virginia. With headquarters in Chesterfield County, the company is one of the 7 energy distribution companies of NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) serving 3.8 million natural gas and electric customers. Always call 811 before you dig and Dig with CARE. Learn more at www.ColumbiaGasVa.com