Contact: Bob Innes
(804) 512-1425 - Mobile
Nov. 14, 2012 – The changing weather is bringing colder temperatures and soon winter will officially arrive in Virginia. To stay warm and safe this winter, Columbia Gas of Virginia reminds its customers to take five critical action steps now to ensure they have the comfort of warm natural gas heat when cold weather sets in across the state.
About Columbia Gas of Virginia
- Step One: Test your furnace. Take the time today to test your furnace and ensure that it is working properly. If it needs maintenance, have your furnace serviced by a professional heating contractor. A list of approved trade allies is provided for CGV customers’ convenience at. www.columbiagasva.com/builders/trade-ally-program
- Step Two: Educate your household on how to recognize and detect a natural gas leak and react safely. If you smell an odor (similar to rotten eggs) immediately leave the area and from a safe location call Columbia at 800.544.5606 and call 911. Also, before planting this fall be sure to always call va811 (Miss Utility) at 811 before you dig and then dig with CARE.
- Step Three: Inspect your CO (Carbon Monoxide) and smoke detectors and install fresh batteries to ensure they are in good operating condition.
- Step Four: Reduce your energy consumption by taking advantage of cash rebates from Columbia’s WarmWise energy efficiency and conservation program. When you add attic insulation; upgrade to a high efficiency water heater or furnace, you can get cash back for qualified equipment or energy saving materials. Go to www.warmwiseva.com for details and information on a special “12 Days of Giveaways” promotion
- Step Five: Replace your furnace filter and check around your door and window openings to see if it is time to replace the caulking or install weather-stripping.
Columbia Gas of Virginia delivers safe, reliable and clean natural gas to customers in portions of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, suburban Richmond, Central Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley, the Lynchburg region and parts of Western Virginia. With headquarters in Chesterfield County, the company is one of the 7 energy distribution companies of NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) serving 3.8 million natural gas and electric customers. Always call 811 before you dig and Dig with CARE. Learn more at www.ColumbiaGasVa.com